Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No more a Mechanchi

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Sometimes, few decisions sound so against the popular societal beliefs that you feel like shutting them down there itself rather than them being implemented or taken on. But we often forget that we are always going to find people who criticize our decisions no matter what we do or wherever we go. And then it’s unto us to decide our priority whether we want to make it happen or being on the safer side and following the crowd. Going by the book may more invulnerable, but regrets is what will stay on once you skip over the chance. So choose rights over wrongs, no matter how inappropriate you may seem.

I remember the day I cleared my first campus placement interview. Running out of the room across that corridor, not remembering when the last I had been so happy. My document file in my hands and me legging it all across the campus as if someone just put my back on fire. A mechanical graduate from an ordinary college couldn’t have expected anything better than a job in designing field. Being the only one amongst my friends to be placed, it felt cracking. But sooner than later, I started feeling uncertain about it. The line of work was great but it wasn’t something I was interested in. By the final year, I knew I wanted to take writing, or poetry to be precise, as my full time profession.

Initially, I bandied about it to my friends. I must not let go of such a rattling job, for not all are fortunate enough to get it- is what everyone said. Advising me to keep up with the job and continue writing as a part-time hobby. And my family was no exception.

Choosing the job with uncertain pay (though more interesting) compared to a high-salaried permanent job wasn’t easy. Especially when your family and friends were against the mere thought of it. And at times, even I was unsure if I should do this. But one thing I was sure of was that I couldn’t do the two things simultaneously especially when the mere training was to span over a period of 6 months with a minimum of 12 hours per day.

Sometimes you are too scared to take a leap but an action is all that’s required for you to realize you too could fly. And I flew. At times, the boldest you need to go is a silent whisper to the self, saying, “I have to do this.” It’s just months since I completed my college, and I have already been published in four anthologies with a couple more on their way to getting published sooner than later.

So, do what you think is right even if the entire world seems against you. Even your family, friends and acquaintances can be wrong sometimes, but ultimately, it’s you who has to make the final decision. And you will find yourself transformed in the course of action. Passion cannot be kept in cages. The sapling somehow finds its course from within a rock.

This post is written for Housing.